Sunday, January 15, 2012

What's a Rotary Phone?

If the much loved 80's movie E.T. (1) were to get a remake today one of the first challenges would be searching for a new and equally iconic phrase to replace the outdated "E.T. phone home."(1)  The phrase simply wouldn't fly with today's kids.  I can just imagine taking my 7 year old nephew to see the original and having him say "Can't his just add his location to his Facebook status" or "Gee, that alien really needs to upgrade his finger".  The idea that an a advanced race of beings would use something as passe as a phone, and an archaic land line to boot, would seem more farfetched then the idea of this creature being lured by a tasty, candy coated chocolate.

I will admit that the idea may seem farfetched but the reality is that my students live in the world of fast paced, ever changing, technology.  Yes, kids still explore outside, enjoy building with lego and can use their vivid imaginations to pretend a rock sticking out of the dirt is really the tip of a giant dinosaur bone.  But there has been a shift.  Many of my student return to school after the weekend talking about Facebook or the latest YouTube video.  When reading a book is it common for a child to make a connection to something she has experienced in her video game.  Many kids associate 3D with movies before they have ever heard of 3D shapes.  They live in a world where information and advancements are coming faster and faster.

As an educator I am looking for ways to use the internet in my classroom to enhance lessons, share ideas and create connections, while teaching my students responsible use of technology.  So here I go exploring the net for useful applications and sharing my growing pains in exploring new programs.




1. E. T., the Extra-terrestrial. Dir. Steven Spielberg. Perf. Henry Thomas, Drew Barrymore and Peter Coyote. Swank, 1982. DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment